Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Time, She is Nearing!



ONE WEEK AWAY!!!!!

The excitement (and, let's face it, abject fear) increases!

Two major developments today, and one minor development:

First big thing was that our costumes arrived today! Yay! MASC, through fundraising efforts in the past, was able to purchase for our permanent collection a bunch of really cool Elizabethan wear from Fox Hollow Renaissance wear. We were just finishing up rehearsal--getting Justin's notes on our performances--when a giant motor home pulled up and voila! We were hearing "Greensleeves" in our heads and trying on cool costumes as they were delivered!

We did not, however, have turkey legs...

The second big thing is that we're painting the set tomorrow---and I just now finished drawing and planning the designs (and figuring out scene changes). Simple--Shakespearean theatre, traditionally, doesn't do much in the way of sets and relies on costumes and props (and, well, *acting*) to get the story across--but we do have a little bit to lend some context and ambiance to the stage.

Or, we do in theory. The painting has yet to happen, of course!

Lastly, the little thing--and this one's personal. I (playing Mistress Quickly in this one) have a devil of a time learning lines. I'm a very visual person, and kinesthetic, so I have to learn by sight and movement. Audio does nothing for me--hearing the lines a zillion times won't help me at all--but picturing them on the page, and envisioning the movement on stage (and facial expressions, and gestures) helps. But this has been a slowwwwwww process...and tonight? I got through Act I (my toughest) only calling "Line!" about five or six (or ten or twelve) times!

That's good for me. And far better than last night!

I still have six days to get this all down...Justin assures me I'll get there. And, with any luck, I'll also have a costume (or two) and a few sets, to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment